Japan & Taiwan: An Asian Abroad

Greetings! Konichiwa! Ni hao! 

After nearly 30 years of dreaming of Taiwan, I finally returned to my birth country. Prior to stopping in Taiwan, R and I ventured through Japan for a quick 6 days rapid tour. So much to tell, so much to share. But first, pictures of Taiwan! 


Rooftop garden at the orphanage.

Courtyard at Daniel A Poling Babies Home, my orphanage for the first couple years of life. 
Best night market in all of Taiwan, FengJia in Taichung.

Evening view from British Consulate in Kaohsiung.















Gondola ride in Kaohsiung
Lotus Lake, Kaohsiung
                 
              
              Kabosu, some really great juice

Lost in translation: I didn't actually want an entire pint of juice, but consumed it all.
A dainty tapioca dessert with fruits, a Taiwanese special.

Near Raohe night market in Taipei you are greeted with an explosion of lanterns, bright colors, and a beautiful Buddhist temple. 

Enjoying DTF in Taipei.
Taiwan was beautiful and gritty. We started out in Taipei, took the high speed rail (HSR) to Taichung for 2 nights, then explored Kaohsiung before returning to Taipei. From staying in quiet, restful Taipei to bustling, scooter-crazed Taichung and then coastal beauty Kaohsiung, I think we did a good job exploring Taiwan's unique qualities. I was embarrassed by my lack of Mandarin-speaking abilities, and was frequently and appropriately spoken to without being able to respond. In Japan, very few people assumed I could speak Japanese and I imagine it was because I don't look Japanese at all. But in Taiwan, I easily fit in. It was wonderful to be surrounded by people that look similar to me! I could have disappeared into a crowd and never surfaced. Of course, once I opened my mouth the impostor was revealed.

Japan was on a very different level from Taiwan. We began in Tokyo and were happy to find that the toilet seats to be extremely welcoming (warmed with an optional butt bath and toilet seat that lifted on arrival). Tokyo was very orderly. It's a very organized city occupied by a rather homogenous and polite population. There are sections of the city dedicated to all types of imaginative interests. Akihabara is the cornerstone of the gaming industry, with cos-play (Japanese women dressed in maid outfits serving coffee), several places dedicated to multiple floors of video arcades, and multi-level entertainment stores, this was technological overstimulation at it's best. Shibuya boasts the hectic-appearing crosswalk featured in movies about Japan - it was more calm for us when we went. We stayed in Roppongi district, which was a little westernized but provided the Art Triangle - 3 art museums in one block. On our first night we ate at a Mozzarella Bar. It's surprising the number of times we saw Mozzarella offered. My favorite was Harajuku, where Takeshita street and my favorite Owl Cafe are located. Takeshita street is heaven for any sweets-loving, pre-teen female. Lots of creperies, cotton candy shops, and cute teen-style shopping options are available. Tokyo was very stimulating. 






To escape the city, we went to Kyoto and stayed at an Onsen in Kurama. This offered a nice change of pace, well-timed as I was battling a fun head cold. This onsen provided traditional Japanese foods and was located in a picturesque valley. From Kyoto station, we took 3 different trains to this place and were so impressed by how scenic and calming Kurama was. One of the most peaceful moments of my life was sitting outside in onsen, naked as a clam, enjoying the cool breeze with stunning forestry while listening to the village breathe. 
symbol of friendship, perhaps?

                   
                 Kurama

Our little bathhouse


Traditional Japanese dining





I loved being Asian in Asian countries. It felt like my heritage came to life and I was able to embrace this side of me that feels like it's always required an explanation. It's a good feeling to be comfortable in your own skin.

I am immensely happy to be home though, and although current events depict otherwise, I know this is where I belong.


Comments

Popular Posts