I was formally an organized person...

... Until I started medical school. I have weird "stacks" of paper scattered around the ground near my desk. Mixed throughout are goldfish crackers that made their way down, some pens, textbooks, definitely a few high lighters, and the occasional clinically relevant tool I recently purchased (BP cuff, stethoscope, otoscope, reflex hammer). I should really get the spouse to clean this mess up.

Our first set of block exams were held last Thursday and Friday and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't fail any of them! My Big Doc helped to emotionally prepare me for failure in one of the many, but thankfully, that will be for the even harder tests.

Returning to classes on Monday (yesterday) I have a sneaking suspicion that the professors were actually holding back the volume of material they'd teach until after the first block exam. Oh my gravy. Histology and Anatomy, the two classes famous for being enormously challenging and voluminous, let off the breaks on their Geo Metros and took us straight down hill!

At some point in the next week I'd like to paint my nails with a clear polish. I hope I can squeeze in the time to do that and let them dry.

I started using my Crock Pot. Yesterday evening, at 7pm, I combined BBQ sauce and chicken and let them coalesce into one yummy pot of goodness for 5 hours. It was a very late dinner.

Clinical Skills today proved very valuable - we practiced giving vaccinations on a dummy using Intradermal, Subcutaneous, and Intramuscular methods. This was actually really fun, once my hands stopped shaking and I didn't worry about pricking myself. Luckily most everyone else felt awkward performing this, but by the end of class, the pit sweat dried off.

We also discussed the importance of vaccinations and the lack of correlation between autism and vaccinations. One of my classmates was distressed by this discussion and told us about how frustrating it has been for him to argue with his family members over this important preventative tool and how difficult it is to 1) discuss something beyond his range of comprehension (since he is not yet a practitioner) and 2) provide an answer for the cause of autism.

More to come, I should leave with an inspirational quote after each post... starting next time.

Comments

Popular Posts