Cosi's anyone?

I've been staying with my cousin Grant in Union Square for the past 8 days. Today is another moving day; I'm heading to Astoria to stay with my friend Anna. She's a student at Barnard College and has an extra set of keys and futon. It is looking more and more like I may be living on my own. This should be fine as long as I can find something cheap, safe, and within 20min to Manhattan, which should be plausible.

Staying at Grant's has been great though. We see each other in the wee hours of the night. Recently he has been working from 6am until well past midnight. I generally see him in the 1am-3am range and we have our little chats which are nice. His roof has become my sub-temporary space. I go up there to read, write, or assemble my homemade postcards. If you leave me your address I can guarantee you a postcard (Erik! Andrew!).

Over the extended weekend of labor I hopped on a morning bus to Washington DC to visit that old mate of mine. On Sunday he got the keys to his apartment and began the shift from house bum to law student, one that he makes with ease. His place is quite nice; living in DC is pretty cheap since the interns at the white house and capitol make such a small salary. I sat around with him while he did his briefings.

I finished the book Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and am further convinced that although we perceive and experience this world in isolation, we can never be completely alone as there will always be those that can relate to some degree, which is reassuring.

I think I'm adjusting better to New York now. At least I'm feeling marginally more optimistic about job-hunting and living somewhere. After visiting DC and seeing how work-driven the city is, I like New York City because it's a little bit of both. New Yorkers work insane hours, much like my cousin. But the drive to enjoy art and the outdoors is still present.

Here is the link to NYC photos as of late:
http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/ncorleywheeler/MoMA%20and%20Grants/?albumview=slideshow

Comments

Popular Posts